Jorhat is and has been a vibrant place and is a perfect mixture tradition and modernity. It was the hub of anti-british struggle of Assam. Before that it was the last capital of the Ahoms, the dynasty which ruled over Assam for six centuries. Majuli, the biggest riverine island in the world is the center of Assam's Vaisnava culture. In these days it is a major educational and commercial center .
city of Jorhat is located 314 kilometers from Guwahati astride NH37. It is
connected by rail, road and air with rest of the country. It is a good
link between lower Assam with upper Assam as also North Arunachal Pradesh
and Nagaland. It is the best base for tourist exploring upper assam.
It is famous for its sprawling tea gardens. It is the nerve centre of the tea industry. It has the world renowned Toklai Experimental Centre. Research is carried out to find new varieties of tea and also therapeutic effects of green tea. From Jorhat, one can visit Majuli, the largest island on the Brahmaputra. In Majuli, there are numerous satras or monasteries. 60 kms aways from Jorhat, lies Nambar Forest reserve which is famous for being a rejuvenating hot spring.A further 90 kms down, one comes across Dimapur (in Nagaland), once the seat of the Cachar kingdom.
The Regional Research Laboratory, which is also in Jorhat, conducts investigations on plants, herbs and soil. The Assam Agricultural University, the Technical School, etc. also attract a number of students and researchers from all over the country.
|Jorhat is approachable by rail from Guwahati by Intercity Express and JanaShatabdi express. The Jorhat Town Rail station is in the south-east direction of the city. It has a goods yard and online passenger reservation facility.|
Dakhinpat Satra : Dakhinpat Satra was founded by Banamalidev, an exponent of Raasleela, which is now observed as one of the State festivals of Assam.
Garamurh Satra :This Satra was founded by Lakshmikantdeva. During Autumn end traditional Raasleela is performed with great enthusiasm. Some ancient weapons are also preserved here.
Auniati Satra : Founded by Niranjan Pathakdeva, this satra is famous for 'Paalnaam' and Apsara dance and it also has considerable collection of old Assamese utensils, jewellery and handicrafts.
Kamalabari Satra : Kamalabari Satra founded by Bedulapadma Ata, is a center of art, culture, literature and classical studies. Its branch Uttar Kamalabari Satra has performed cultural programme of satria art in several states of India and abroad.
Bengenaati Satra : It is a store house of culturally important antiques and an advanced center of performing arts. Muraridev, the grand son of Shankaradeva's step mother, had founded the SSwargadeoatra. The royal robes belong to the Ahom king Swargadeo Gadadhar Singha, made of Gold and an umbrella which is also made of gold, are preserved here.
These Satras are the treasure house of "Bongeet " Matiakhara, Jumora Dance, Chali Dance, Notua Dance, Nande Vringee, Sutradhar, Ozapali, Apsara Dance, Satria Krishna Dance, Dasavater Dance etc. which were contributed by Shri Shankardeva
perhaps the largest riverine island in the world, nestles in the lap of
the mighty Brahmaputra. Her face uplifted to the limitless frontiers of
the blue sky, her feet perpetually caressed by the lapping waters of the
holy Brahamaputra, her vision stretched to the distant hills of the
Himalayan and other ranges, Majuli is a creation of none other than the
master craftsman who moulded the universe-God himself.
The striking Juxtaposition of man and nature in its harmonies best accentuated by a palpable undertone of spirituality and the unfathomable aura of mysticism that governs the essence of life combined with the exotic mosaic of diverse ethnicism lend the island an enchanting uniqueness, rarely found elsewhere in the world. Majuli is a rich place in tradition and culture and boasting of a glorious past. With the establishment of Vaishnava Saint Srimanta Sankaradeva and his chief disciple Sri Sri Madhavdeva in the 15th century, Majuli emerged as the crowning glory of Vaishnavite's culture in Assam. The most remarkable feature of Majuli, apart from its aura of spiritualism in a total population free environment, it is the colourful mosaic of diverse ethnicity.
tradition of art and craft is an important component of culture continuum
of Majuli. Music, Dance, Drama were the basic medium deployed in
propagating the monotheistic philosophy of Vaishnavism. The self taught
artisians of Majuli transform a small piece of wood or bamboo to exquisite
works of art. Basketry, ivory, silver filigree work are a few of the
traditional crafts still being carried on the island.
On the southern side of Jorhat, near Na-ali, there is a tank popularly known as Bangalpukhari. In the month of Sravana of Saka 1739, Badan Barphukan was murdered by Rupsinghh Bangal when he was going to take bath. For this act , he was rewarded with some money which he spent in excavating this tank. The people do not use the water of this tank as it was excavated with the money received for killing a man
|Burigosain devalay: The Burigosain and the priest were brought from Jayantiya after defeating that king and were established first at Rangpur. When the capital was shifted to Jorhat, the image of Burigosain was also shifted and placed in a temple which lies in the middle of the town. It is a sakta Shrine.||
THENGAL BHAWAN : Build in 1880 by Raibahadur Shiva Prasad Barooah, the first Assamese Daily Dainik Batari was started from this complex.
||EASTERN THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE : Established in 1856 as Jorjat Christian School, subsequently named Theological College.||Raja Maidam: The existing maidam (vault)which lies on the south bank of Toklai river on the northern side of Jorhat town is of king Purandar Sinha who expired on 1st Oct 1894. The present maidam was constructed to preserve the ashes of the late king.|
|CINNAMORA TEA ESTATE : First tea garden of Assam established by Maniram Dewan in 1850.||JORHAT GYMKHANA CLUB : Built in 1876 by D. Slimmon, the then Secretary of the club.|
List of Mediaeval Monuments Of Jorhat
|Items||SI. No.||Name of the Monument||Year/Period Of Construction||During Whose Reign||Remarks|
|Roads||1||Seuni Ali(A.T.Road)||1650||Swargadeo Jaydhawaz Singha||Jorhat to Gowrisagar48Km.Constructed by Boduli Borphukan.|
|2||Dhudor Ali||1681-1695||Swargadeo Godadhar Singha||Kamargaon to Joypur touching Morioni Total length 211 Km.|
|3||Kharikatia||1696-1714||Swargadeo Rudra Singha||Kharikatia to Titabor|
|4||Mohbondha Ali||1795-1810||Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha||Jorhat to Mohbondha|
|5||Kamarbandha||1795-1810||Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha||Jorhat to Kamarbandha|
|6||Malow gohain Ali||1751-1769||Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha||Desoi to Bosa|
|7||Susandebandha Ali||1795-1810||Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha||Within Jorhat|
|8||Choladhora Ali||1795-1810||-do-||within Jorhat|
|9||Borpatra Ali||-do-||-do-||Within Jorhat running infront of J.B.College|
|10.||Na-Ali||1796||-do-||Jorhat to Titabor|
|Holly Temple||1||Hatigar||1812-Half done 1817-completed||Swargadeo Chandrakanta Singha||Constructed by Purnananda Buragohain. 5Km from Jorhat on the way to Sibsagar.|
|2||Burigosani Than or Dewal||1794-1795||Garuinath Singha chandra Kt.Singha||Shifted to bank of river Bhogdoi.Now on the side of Dewal Road.|
|3||Garakhiadol Temple(Shiva Temple)||1714||Swargadeo Siva Singha||7 Km from Jorhat.|
|4||Borbheti Than (Originally moneastery)||1769-80||Swargadeo Rajeswar Singha||Constructed by Muwamoria Priest Ashtabhuz, 7Km from Jorhat town.|
|5||Dhekiakhowa Bornamghar||1497-1539||Swargadeo Suhung Myung||By the devotees of Madhavdev.|
|Swargadeo Jaidhwaj Singha|
|7||Kamalabari Satra||1552-1603||Swargadeo Khoraroja||At Majuli river island.|
|8||Bengenati Satra||1524||Swargadeo SuhungMyung||-do-|
|Tanks||1||Rajmow Pukhuri||1816||Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha||Near Jorhat Stadium|
|2||Hatigar Pukhuri||1812-Half done 1817-completed||Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha||Construction started by Purnanda Buragohain but completed by Rushinath Buragohain|
|3||Katoki Pukhuri||1810-1818||-do-||Within Jorhat town|
|5||Bongal Pukhuri||1819-1820||Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha||Dredged by Rupsing Subedar|
|6||Borgohain Pukhuri||1820||-do-||Dredged by Borgohain|
|7||Choladhora Pukhuri||1820-21||-do-||Dredged by Choladhora Phukan|
|8||Kuwari Pukhuri||1810-1818||Situated at Lichubari constructed by the queen of Garuinath Singha|
|9||Bolia Gohain Pukhuri||-do-||-do-||At Lichubari Constructed by Dambaru Gohain alias Bolia Gohain|
|1||Rajamaidam||i)1846 ii)1852||Raised during Brithsh period||i)Maidum of Puranadar Singha ii)Maidum of Swargadeo Kamaswar Singha|
|2||Lachit Maidam Singha||1672||Swargadeo Udayaditya Singha||At Hoolungapara 16 Km from Jorhat.|
|3||Purnananda Buragohain Maidam||1817||Chandra Kt.Singha||Washed away by Bhugdoi .It was near Macharhat.|
|1||Ladoigar||1603-1641||Swargadeo Protap Singha||12 Kms to the east Jorhat.|
|2||Deberapara Gor||1552-1603||Swargadeo Khoraroja||30 Kms from Jorhat|
|3||Mohgor||1603-1641||Swargadeo Protap Singha||To the North of Jorht touching Mohuamukh|
|4||Borgheta gor||1794-95||Swargadeo Gaurinath Singha||From Bosha to Kaliani under Golaghat district..|
|others||1||Disoikuth(Army cantonment)||1789||-do-||Purnanda Baruagohain|
|2||Hatigarh (Elephent trap)||1603-1641||Swargadeo Pratap Singha||A pair of ramparts utilised as elephant traps.|